RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» March 2024 Thread
by joecool Yesterday at 8:22 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool March 24th 2024, 7:09 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore March 10th 2024, 4:04 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

» February 2024 Thread
by Claymore February 16th 2024, 5:20 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17078 messages in 1004 subjects

Sports vs. Church

5 posters

Go down

Sports vs. Church Empty Sports vs. Church

Post by RRCmdrBennett January 2nd 2014, 1:55 am

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Sports vs. Church Empty Re: Sports vs. Church

Post by Phillip Gross January 2nd 2014, 6:02 am

I disagree. You could just as easily insert "camping" or "vacation" vs "church". I believe when the Bible warns against forsaking the assembling together, it's speaking in a general term instead of every Sunday.

When I was young, we were very legalistic about this stuff to the point of there being an almost tangible feeling of guilt if we missed Sunday.

If the family unit is so spiritually starved that missing a "group meal" causes family to die of starvation, then there are greater problems....
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones January 2nd 2014, 7:35 am

I used to be a lot more dedicated to sunday morning attendance. I attend when I don't have a Ranger Event going on. Yet we have "church" there.

I feel guilty when I just hang out and not have any church.

I know some folks that are very religious about church attendance. As the Word shows... if it bothers you don't do it. Yet don't expect your thoughts to be placed on someone else as we are to be led by the Spirit of God.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool January 2nd 2014, 11:20 am

When we moved here, one of the hard things to get used to was no Sun evening service. Whenever the church doors are open, my wife and I are in attendance.

(Of course, having Tivo helps a lot!)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones January 2nd 2014, 11:44 am

I listen to Christian programing on the radio at least half the day every day at work. I would say that is where I get most of the teaching and listening to God's word done.

It's been my experience and its the same as in Jesus day. The religious folk are the ones that will nail you to the cross. While it's important to have hi moral standards and live the life... I have found many forget those standards while out on a crusade of their own nose picking..GRIN!

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross January 2nd 2014, 12:11 pm

I believe good habits are good and should be done. However I don't think that anyone's righteousness should be derived from the doing of those good habits because as Paul said, It's all crap (from the Phillip Gross translation) compared to what Christ has done.

The flip side is when people use that to justify NOT going just because they're being lazy...
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 January 2nd 2014, 12:42 pm

Its a battle with sports.
We were going to let the kids sign up for youth baseball this year until we found out they have practices or games on Wednesday nights. They don't have any on Sundays, which is nice, but we are THE ranger staff, so if we miss rangers, everyone does.

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross January 2nd 2014, 12:50 pm

Baseball was an issue for us last year because they had some practices and games on Friday nights a few times. We're good now that we've moved outpost meetings to Sunday afternoons... Looking forward to that! We kick back off this coming weekend.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett January 2nd 2014, 1:15 pm

I totally figured on a different response from Royal Ranger leaders. I read the article and don't perceve they are saying missing one Sunday is a sin but that sports in general demand a lot of focus away from being in church during the critical years of a person's life. Not everyone gets 4+ hours of religious radio programming. I know so well how missing a couple Sundays becomes 3, 5, and then never people again.

I do think we as Christians need to take our Sundays back. He's given us six days to work and play and we can't protect 2 hours of time for Him?  

I've seen boys come in Royal Rangers for a month in between sports leagues that take them away from both Wed and Sundays.

A Royal Rangers camp-out or a weekend youth trip is still a gathering of Christians as is stated by Apostle Paul. Paul did not specify the location of the gathering or who speaks. Our leaders will say this meant church but church then was more often in people's homes or on the road. Imho, comparing camping, youth trips, Christian retreats doesn't apply. What is a sports league: Christ centered or self-centered?  Don't take me wrong we all have hobbies nothing wrong with that. When we have to decide between being in God's house or fishing, camping (non-Royal Rangers event), hunting, etc where are our prorities?  What do kids learn in sports: anger, self, win at all cost, etc.

Benjamin's parents (recent GMA) told me they had considered sports for Ben but decided against because of the time, $, missed church time, and values taught.  They reasoned unless you've got a superstar athlete they aren't going to get free ride for 4 years. We agreed a lot of parents are hoping for that "golden ticket" for their kid to a full scholarship. I remember several conversations with Chris about a family who enrolled their daughter in multiple soccer teams traveling to other States for games who spent $1000's in hope of a big payoff. She got one year scholarship.  You could invest the $ from sports, travel, etc into a fund from time they are born and probably get more than one year's worth.  

For many kids weds and Suns are the only time they are spiritually fed. We wonder why there's a culture rot in USA. Took prayer out of schools, businesses opened on Sun, and Sports run all week.

Its good Philip you were able to work around sports. I don't know if Sunday sports is geographical meaning in the south or bible belt they may not encroach on church as much.

God is a jealous God he should be first. Don't say I am calling Sports a sin but if we allow it to takeover our lives it will be an idol we're chasing after.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross January 2nd 2014, 7:32 pm

Well as you guys know, we race motorcycles, and motorsports have occurred on Sundays for 50+ years as a norm. It's only been recently that soccer has started to encroach on Sundays. I could miss almost every Sunday during racing season if I wanted to, but I choose one major series to commit to and we catch races in the others "when we can". We'll probably miss about 6 Sundays this season for races. I don't feel bad about it. In fact, it's at the race track that issues arise like nowhere else that'll test you and see where you are. By the very nature of the thing, along with other sports, it's high intensity! It'll test you for sure. How will you act when it all comes down to the line? It's a great venue to practice what you preach.... Wish I could say that I always pass the tests. Smile

And there's a culture out there that we rub shoulders with that'll never come through the doors of a church either, other than for a funeral or wedding. 

Balance. That's key.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum