RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» Culture Rot
by joecool March 14th 2024, 3:44 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» March 2024 Thread
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:13 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore March 10th 2024, 4:04 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

» February 2024 Thread
by Claymore February 16th 2024, 5:20 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17066 messages in 1004 subjects

Culture Rot

+6
RRCmdrBennett
joecool
Canadarangers
Phillip Gross
strods
Mark Jones
10 posters

Page 18 of 31 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24 ... 31  Next

Go down

Culture Rot - Page 18 Empty Re: Culture Rot

Post by Mark Jones May 13th 2018, 11:42 pm

They have figured out Rangers was not working.  70% of AG churches didn't have the program.  They now have Ranger Lite.   It shows the new ways of running a Royal Ranger Program.  Very similar to the Johnny Barnes Methods.  Just keep in mind they don't have it all figured out yet.  Doing the first 3 levels of this program doesn't allow for FCF or GMA.  Yet a Outpost can get that 1% of boys doing the Leadership merits and get them their.  The Rest of the 99% can just enjoy a fun Johnny Barnes methods of Rangers.
I am more along the line of 3rd level of "Ranger Lite"
If they could tweak the Leadership merits where the Boys could attend Action Camps to qualify they would be better off.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k30aE53EN9FhRqJyx_AnkDOtcq3UnsTj

Last edited by Mark Jones on May 13th 2018, 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones May 13th 2018, 11:47 pm

This was taken from LEAD this year. The part you are referring to starts at about 2:15 If you watch from the beginning the first part is just about fixing the broken patrol system. Ranger Kids went back to Den Mother kind of thing for their Patrol System like the Scouts do.

We can go back and do the Johnny Barnes Methods of Royal Rangers. Were still Royal Rangers. They need to tweak it a bit more. I would prefer they allow Action Camps to qualify as Leadership Merits. More leadership in one action camp then their is in 10 of the leadership merits in my little ole world. They are trying to fix things.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k30aE53EN9FhRqJyx_AnkDOtcq3UnsTj
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 14th 2018, 8:19 am

joecool wrote: I'm hearing that our children's pastor is looking for help. I wonder if he would consider bringing Rangers back. Might be a good conversation to have around the fire at next month's men's campout.

Not sure if the children's pastor ever had RR at one of his churches. However, I do know that he was the guest speaker at one of the Pow Wows. But the real obstacle to bringing back RR would be our senior pastor. From past experience with my Voyagers program, I know he's against what he calls "competition." He feels every child should be at the same exact level, whether it's your first class or your hundredth. Anything that shows a difference (like merits) is to be avoided. Personally, I've always felt that it's a motivator. But after years of society dumbing down the process of growing up, maybe too many boys can't handle it anymore.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones May 14th 2018, 10:03 am

I never have been one for competitions so much. I just gave out the merits to say they did the work. They forget it in 2 months anyway.
The Johnnie Barnes methods we did. We just taught parts of the merits and didn't really give out any merits unless they were going for the gold. The rest of the boys just liked doing the popular stuff and fun stuff. In those days it was a 37 cent ribbon we would give out. Patches can get expensive.

Check out this Rangers Lite. It will allow you to run a Royal Ranger Program and fits any need Any Pastor would have. It can be tailored to fit just about anything. Like teaching firecraft, ropecraft, naturestudy, firstaid, cpr and toolcraft and build a derby car. Then repeat that ... That's fun every boy and girl will want to do.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett May 16th 2018, 3:44 am

Even without merits some will be more distinguished than others. Reminds me recently reading how a girl in Jersey cried to mama to get school to let her on the cheerleading squad. Came down to let anyone join or disband smh. We’re not all the same in every way. Pastor sounds a bit seeker sensitive.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore May 16th 2018, 2:15 pm

With "sensitivity" and "Political Correctness", we can miss the obvious. I am not in favor of being abusive, but people get stronger by making it through adverse conditions.

The easiest case in point is the veterans who won World War 2. They had endured the Great Depression, and they knew that no one else was going to save them -- they had to save themselves, or perish. They knew the same in combat -- that our nation had to save itself, or perish. THAT is why they were called the "Greatest Generation".

I honestly do not believe that, if there was a life-or-death mobilization like there was 80 years ago, the residents of this nation could endure the difficulties involved. My parents grew up during the Depression, and they knew how to make meals from what they grew on their garden, even after things were easy and they were financially comfortable. When you have never been called to endure, you will not prevail.

While I would never want my children to endure what my parents did during the Depression, I wish that they were able to have some of the value and discipline that my parents got from it. Unfortunately, the latter does not come without a good dose of the former.

In my Outpost, other than the Bible Merit, none of the Merits are "Attendance" Merits.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 16th 2018, 9:01 pm

I don't blame the district, but due to the fact we haven't gone to RR events the last couple of years, we're about to lose the PowWow campsite we put a lot of work into.

I have just taken advantage of that news to make a pitch to restart our outpost. The next couple of weeks will tell. I reminded my pastors and deacons that the only reason we're having a men's campout next month is because they deemed it the best way to mentor boys. Hello? Can anybody say Royal Rangers?

RR The best way to Reach, Teach and Keep Boys (from falling into the rotting culture pit)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones May 17th 2018, 2:49 pm

Start small and build up to it.  Just you and one other leader get committed to go and bring as many boys as you can handle.  When it grows past that.. the church will either get behind it or chop it's head off.

Some church staff don't want to be bothered by choosing to take boys outside and getting dirty.

I get to laughing at our selves.  One hand they look out and say...dagnabit   very few men are attending our services.  Then they declare a "new program"  Royal Rangers men your gonna love this.  Bam starts drawing men and boys and grows and grows the church and stands its ground against all kinds of Culture for 20 plus years.  Then ...dagnabit... we declare  We need those men to get involved in side the walls of the church.  So they make it more like church.....takes a nose dive...many fly it right into the ground.  Down, Down Down Down it goes.  

Hum...will someone please declare " We need a new program called Royal Rangers Johnnie Barnes Style".  We will once again watch it grow and build the church.....until someone snicker laugh and snort...declares we need to make this come into alignment with our Church Vision.  POOF fire went out again.  

So we can all chuckle and laugh at our silliness.  YET challenge yourself to do that Johnnie Barnes method of Royal Rangers and watch it grow.

I have to ask the question. Do you think Jesus would have been welcome to come into our Churches? Do you think Jesus would have been welcome to come and sit around our Campfires?

The answer is truth either we like it or not.
"They had it right in 1998" Pull it up and look at it. Record is clear.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 17th 2018, 4:40 pm

joecool wrote: ...due to the fact we haven't gone to RR events the last couple of years, we're about to lose the PowWow campsite we put a lot of work into. I have just taken advantage of that (district ) news to make a pitch to restart our outpost. The next couple of weeks will tell. I reminded my pastors and deacons that the only reason we're having a men's campout next month is because they deemed it the best way to mentor boys. Hello? Can anybody say Royal Rangers?

I was informed by a deacon that our children's pastor squared things away with the district. We're going to use the site next year...which means Rangers is back on? I'll wait for the pastor to approach me before I get my hopes too high.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore May 17th 2018, 4:57 pm

Not much disagreement with Mark.

SOME members of church staff are envious of Royal Rangers.  They see how much time, money, effort, and participation go into R/R, and they feel that they can put it to "better" use.  Also, many on the Pastoral Staff used to be Youth Leaders, and they see Rangers as competition to their Pet Programs, and believe that they could have been more successful, if Rangers had not been around, "sucking" all of the best resources from the Church.

So they clip the wings of programs like Rangers, or disband them altogether, and expect all of the personnel and resources to flow into their Pet Programs.  Instead, the personnel and resources go to other places.

I was in a Special Forces Unit that was allowed to maintain 200% of Authorized Strength & Staffing.  The reason was simple: It could take years for a person to become fully trained, with all of the specialization needed (Paratroop Qualified, Special Forces Phases I, II, & III, Sniper, Free-Fall Qualified, Language Proficient, Trained for Ocean Insertions, etc) that you could never have a fully qualified Team.  So by having double-staffing, we could have 13 men who were fully "Green" (instantly deployable), with other persons who were "Amber" (trained, but not fully deployable).

Conventional commanders heard about that, put up a stink, and killed the program - even though the additional number of troops double-slotting in Special Forces was not even 1/2% of the overall Army.  And you know what?  The staffing of those conventional units did not go up one bit, when the policy was abolished.  If guys couldn't be on a Team, they got out of the Army.

Do we see any similarities here?

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 17th 2018, 10:14 pm

Mark Jones wrote: We just taught parts of the merits and didn't really give out any merits unless they were going for the gold.  The rest of the boys just liked doing the popular stuff and fun stuff.  

When you're polishing shoes, the only other thing you can do is think. So I thought about the above. You know, it's not unlike my school's two-track math option. One track gets you through enough high school math to get a diploma. But the other gets you into college-level stuff. Kind of like the GMA of math. Both are satisfying to different kinds of students.

I could see covering a certain amount of material in a merit, just enough to where they learn something while having fun. And that's all that some boys want. But if they wanted more, they could finish the rest of the merit on their own and get the recognition for it. Both are satisfying to different kinds of Rangers.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore May 17th 2018, 10:56 pm

My Rangers enjoy comparing uniforms and Merit Vests for accomplishments. We normally have about 4 full-uniformed events in front of the church per year: Posting of the Colors for Memorial Day, Posting of the Colors for Veterans' Day, and a couple of Uniformed Award Ceremonies.

For a time, I had the boys wearing their Awards Vests during the meetings. I have gotten lax, because they are sometimes painting model rockets and monkeying with ropes, and will mess up the vests.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones May 18th 2018, 7:09 am

This was taken in 1996 ish. These were the best days in Rangers! Johnnie Barnes methods. Life changing Events!
http://readyrangers.tzo.com/Old%20Websites/My%20first%20Site/page7.html

this is a picture of one of our Ranger Derby Lockins. Every Wed night we had a average of 60 in full class b Kakhi uniforms. Buckaroos and Straight Arrows in their uniforms as well. WE met together as a outpost for opening and Sr. Guide lead the meeting with me feeding him stuff.

Those were good years. Pastor told me. I know what the program is about. You don't need to ask me about every thing. If you get into trouble I will come talk to you. If you need something BIG talk to me. Other wise run the program. It built that church. We had access to sunday morning announcements. It was awesome to have the Pastor support to grow the ministry.

http://readyrangers.tzo.com/Old%20Websites/My%20first%20Site/page8.html

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 18th 2018, 8:23 am

Mark Jones wrote: It was awesome to have the Pastor support to grow the ministry.

I was blessed to have 3 consecutive churches with that kind of support. And then the new guy arrived. Suspect

Well, you know what they say - adversity builds character. Balderdash! Human-inspired adversity quenches the Spirit.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore May 18th 2018, 2:45 pm

"In the midst of Adversity, lies Opportunity"

joecool wrote:

Well, you know what they say - adversity builds character. Balderdash! Human-inspired adversity quenches the Spirit.  

"No knife in the back stings like that from the hand of a friend.",  Julius Caesar.

Et tu,.......... Brucus?

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 23rd 2018, 8:41 am

I didn't see this one coming, but I'm not surprised. So, we already know that Boy Scouts accepts girls beginning in 2019. Now comes news that condoms will be on site and available to everyone at the World Jamboree to be held in the US next year.

Will the camp permission slips include a legal disclaimer against any responsibility for pregnancies? Will there be extra security patrols to guard against sexual assaults? Will any parents actually allow their daughters to attend?
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett May 24th 2018, 12:27 pm

Source citation for condom reference?

Do girls attend coed youth camps and venture outings...?

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 24th 2018, 5:56 pm

RRCmdrBennett wrote:Source citation for condom reference? Do girls attend coed youth camps and venture outings...?

Question 1: An AP news story this week.

Question 2: Why ask that? Scouts USA/Global obviously believe there's going to be sex, and they're telegraphing that it's okay, they've got the scouts' back with 100% reliable condoms. "Morally straight" has no more meaning for them, unlike coed youth camps, etc.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 18th 2018, 3:27 pm

If you've never heard of TED talks before, they're high-powered forums where the "best and brightest" in their fields share with live audiences, usually on college campuses.

A recent TED showcased a proponent for decriminalizing pedophilia. A short summary: "They were born that way, and they need love, too, don't you know?" Even if it's not legalized in my lifetime, I still predict that the age of consent in many states will be lowered to 13. We've still got a ways before we hit rock-bottom...and look up.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore June 18th 2018, 10:04 pm

Take the morals of the Roman Empire and transpose them onto our society, and you will be getting close.

I am reading "Killing Jesus" by Bill O'Reilly.

It is a terrific history book, and lets you feel what it was like to walk in the streets in Christ's day.

Some people feel that the book is not "reverent" enough, because it does not dwell on Jesus' divinity, but it is meant to be a HISTORY book, not a Theology book.

He refers to the reports of Jesus' miracles, his teaching that you can go directly to God in prayer (without needing the Levites and Priests as intermediaries), and how this threatened the power-base of the ruling-class Jews.

Anyway, he goes into great detail of the debauchery of Caesar Tiberius/Augustus in ordering his soldiers to kidnap local youth in order to perform immoral acts for amusement at his palace on the Island of Capri, and then having the young people thrown over a 1,000 foot cliff, afterward, to complete his amusement and to avoid having witnesses, who could report his grotesqueness back to the people of Rome (who did have SOME limit to their lack of morals; using kids, then throwing them over a cliff was getting close to the limit).

Anyway, interesting historical read...........

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool July 4th 2018, 1:17 pm

Claymore wrote: Anyway, interesting historical read...........

Currently reading Quo Vadis, written by a Pole about 120 years ago. It's about Rome, Nero and Christians, fictional yet historical. I have a list of 184 classics that "everyone should read in their lifetime." Some I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole, but I've read 12. Long ways to go
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett July 6th 2018, 3:49 am

joecool wrote:If you've never heard of TED talks before, they're high-powered forums where the "best and brightest" in their fields share with live audiences, usually on college campuses.

A recent TED showcased a proponent for decriminalizing pedophilia. A short summary: "They were born that way, and they need love, too, don't you know?" Even if it's not legalized in my lifetime, I still predict that the age of consent in many states will be lowered to 13. We've still got a ways before we hit rock-bottom...and look up.  

Sounds like Epstein’s Lolita Express to pedo island visited by slick Willy and Kevin Spacey.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool July 9th 2018, 11:16 am

I've never watched a single episode of "Frasier", but I've long known that actor Kelsey Grammer was conservative. In a recent interview, he shared his thoughts on abortion. "If someone has to die as a result of rape, then we should kill the rapist - not the unborn child."

Yowch!
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore July 9th 2018, 2:11 pm

joecool wrote:................................ "If someone has to die as a result of rape, then we should kill the rapist - not the unborn child."

Unless, you're a hard-line Muslim radical.......................

...........................................then, you stone the Victim to death.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett July 10th 2018, 12:25 pm

Claymore wrote:
joecool wrote:................................ "If someone has to die as a result of rape, then we should kill the rapist - not the unborn child."

Unless, you're a hard-line Muslim radical.......................

...........................................then, you stone the Victim to death.

If she’s lucky a judge will let her have option to marry him or go to jail.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content